Placenta Tincture Recipe

Placenta Tincture Recipe

Jan 1
2013

PLACENTA TINCTURE RECIPE

Placenta tincture is a constitutional remedy that can be used for the baby throughout her/his life. The placenta contains vitamins, minerals, hormones and stem cells so it’s a very good immune remedy. A few uses include cough, stuffy nose, indigestion, teething, high stress events (1st day of school, daycare etc). It’s also beneficial for mom during transition and stressful times.

Placenta tincture is created with a small piece of lightly steamed placenta. Why steamed as opposed to raw? When placenta is ingested raw it has a cooling effect and will not be tonifying on the system.

According to TCM the way the placenta is transformed into placenta medicine is meant to bring heat back to mom. Steaming and warming herbs are necessary steps for that to happen. Without steaming the placenta has a cooling effect. When baby and placenta are born, the sudden “space” created in her body throws her into a state of yin/yang imbalance, with an excess of yin (cold). The way I recommend preparing the placenta (steaming, warming Chinese herbs) before transforming into a tincture or smoothie is all meant to restore this balance.

Placenta tincture made from lightly steamed placenta is tonifying, will not have a cooling affect (creating a yin/yang imbalance), like raw preparation, and will be beneficial anytime after birth.

Placenta Tincture Recipe

Supplies:

• steamed placenta (walnut size piece)
  • 80 proof high grade Vodka
  • cheese cloth
  • jar with a lid

Step 1: Add a walnut size piece of your placenta to the jar.

Step 2: Pour Vodka into the mason jar containing your placenta chunk until it covers the placenta by at least 1 inch.

Step 3: Swirl around the jar contents once daily for 6 weeks. You *may need to add a little Vodka every week or so during this process as some of the liquid may evaporate and absorb into the placenta. Always keep the placenta covered by at least one inch of vodka.

Step 4: After 6 weeks, filter the liquid through cheese cloth into another jar or tincture bottles.

*do not continue to add more alcohol to the jar after the tincturing process is complete as that will dilute the tincture and render it ineffective.

For children, people with alcohol sensitivities, or for those who just prefer a non-alcohol product, I suggest putting a squeeze (dropperful) of tincture into a cup of *hot water. The hot water will  evaporate the alcohol away and leave the  “good stuff”, the nutrients.

Dosage: 7-10 drops directly under the tongue or between the cheek and gum is recommended, or if preferred, in liquid (water, juice, etc) taken during times of stress or transition.

I hope you enjoy this placenta tincture recipe!

**********

FAQ’s:

Placenta Tincture

Placenta Tincture from capsules

* What size jar should I use?

What ever size you want. Just make sure to keep the placenta stays covered by at least 1 inch of vodka.

* How much Vodka do I add?

Enough to keep your placenta covered. When the process is completed you will have used about 1/5 or more. The more you use the less concentrated your tincture will be. So, instead of using 7 drop dosage you may want to use 10.

* Can I use tequila?

* How long will the tincture keep good for?

If stored tightly capped in a cool, dark place it should keep indefinitely.

* How do i make a tincture with placenta powder?

Pour the placenta powder from 5  capsules into a jar with half-pint of Vodka. Shake it daily for 6 weeks. Then strain through cheese cloth. That’s it!

* What should I do with the rest of my placenta?

Have it encapsulated, of course!

*****

Christina Gabbard, CPES a.k.a Carolina Placenta Lady, is a Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist serving natural mommies; health minded women who have an interest in the TCM properties of encapsulated placenta for alleviation or prevention of post-natal depression, “baby-blues”. She also enjoys empowering moms through birth related challenges and transitions; helping them to conceive, carry, and confidently birth their babies. She resides in Charlotte NC with her family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Discussion

32 Responses to Placenta Tincture Recipe

1. Pingback: Placenta jar | Myequipmentren

2. Elizabeth says:

Any way to do this without alcohol (I am sensitive even in small amounts)?

• admin says:

Hi Elizabeth, I don’t know of any other way of effectively extracting the medicinal properties of placenta for tincture other than with high grade alcohol. For children, people with alcohol sensitivities, or for those who just prefer a non-alcohol product, I suggest putting a squeeze (dropperful) of tincture into a cup of *hot water. The hot water will evaporate away and leave only the “good stuff”.

3. Elizabeth says:

Also, what about doing this with a placenta that has been in the deep freeze for 4.5 years?

4. Hello! I love your explanation of why capsules are so beneficial during the initial postpartum and tinctures for later, do you mind if I use on my website?

5. Arianne says:

Hi there – I’m hoping my placenta in the freezer for 13wks isn’t too late? I love the advice to do tincture *and* encapsulate. Hoping I still can?

• admin says:

Hi Arianne,
      Yes, you can still safely encapsulate and tincture your placenta. There will have been a natural depletion in the amount hormones and nutrients, but it’s still chocked full of good nourishing and healing properties.

6. Lindsey says:

Hello, I am wondering if this is only beneficial to mum and baby? Would an older sibling benefit from it as well? I never kept my son’s placenta but I am due any time now (37 weeks today) with baby number 2 and plan to have a smoothie and encapsulate and just as I was looking for what I need to encapsulate (I thought I would try here first as I already have the smoothie bookmarked) I came across this and think it is great to add to my list of things to do with the placenta! :D But I wonder if I am giving baby2 this medicine for his sniffles, I would feel bad giving my oldest second rate stuff. But is that the way it must be or can they share?

7. Lindsey says:

And also, when you say…

Do you mean that we should make the tincture up as normal with the alcohol and then do thise before we give them a dose? Or we should redo the entire tincture this way? Is the alcohol unsafe for babies and children?

• admin says:

Lindsey,
      Yes, make the tincture up as normal with the alcohol then do this (putting a squeeze (dropperful) of tincture into a cup of *hot water) which will evaporate the alcohol away and leave the nutrients.

8. Lindsey says:

Sorry for yet another question, but what size jar would I need for the tincture? I am looking for jars with droppers and they come in all sorts of sizes :)

9. Sue says:

Christina – thank you so much for posting this! I just became South Carolina’s first CPES this year. I’d love to start adding this service on… One question: do you use a walnut size piece of raw placenta or steamed? If raw, does that mean that it will retain it’s cooling affect to the chi instead of the warming that occurs after steaming? Thanks!

• admin says:

Congrats Sue! I’m happy to know that more mommies will be served in our area now :) Are you keeping busy?

Yes. The tincture would be cooling to the chi. But that’s of no consequence becasue we suggest that the tincture is ost useful in the months and years to follow birth. Side note: I started offering information on preparation of both raw and steamed placenta tincture to my clients. So far I’ve received good, comparable feedback.

10. LeeAnne says:

Hi!
    I have encapsulated placenta or clients, but the tincture confuses me. I have read that you can continue ‘topping up’ your tincture indefinitely as you use it, with more alcohol. Would this not eventually dilute the tincture and reduce effectiveness?
    Thanks!!

• admin says:

Hi LeeAnne,
      I apologize for the confusion. Yes, continue ‘topping up’ with more alcohol during the initial 6 weeks that it is tincturing. Do not top up the finished product as that would eventually render it ineffective.

11. Baiba says:

Hi I want to know- maybe- someone can made for me encapsulating?
    or where i can get capsules?

12. Lucy says:

Do I need to steam the placenta prior to this? I am encapsulating my placenta and do not intend to steam it. I want to be able to presernve all the nutrients and I learned at a placenta encapsulation course that steaming can rid the placenta of some of the nutrients.

• admin says:

Hi Lucy,
      Yes, what you wrote is exactly correct. Steaming can rid the placenta of some of the nutrients. It is simply a matter of personal preference. Either way will yield good benefits. Note: Since I’ve started offering information on preparation of both raw and steamed placenta tincture to my clients, the feedback is good and even comparable in most cases.

13. Diana says:

Thanks for this recipe! Can the placenta be frozen? My baby is 5 months old and I’ve been keeping the placenta in the freezer. It has salt and some herbs with it too but I guess I could remove them before steaming. How long should I steam for?

• admin says:

Yes, your placenta is still good for encapsulation and tincturing! There will have been a natural depletion in the amount hormones and nutrients, but it’s still chocked full of good nourishing and healing properties. Let me know if you come up with any questions. I’m happy to help :-)

14. Idoia says:

Hi! I had a large chunk of my placenta (about 1/4 of it!) put into an alcohol tincture after my last birth 12 weeks ago. I was kind of a guinea pig — the woman who did it had never done a tincture before. I have some questions and I hope you’re able to help :)

She told me to put it in the fridge. Do you suppose this has ruined it?

If I can still use it … now I’d just need to strain off the actual placenta chunks and bottle the tincture, right? It wouldn’t need to be refrigerated or frozen?

And one last thing. The woman who did it said I can continue to add alcohol to the jar over the years to keep the tincture going. Is this so? And would I still strain off the placenta in this case or would I keep the original to keep adding alcohol?

Any help would be so awesome!!

• admin says:

Hi Idoia, Yes, you can still use it.

Yes, now strain off the placenta, chunks and as much as the sediment as possible. Cheese cloth works well for this process. It can be kept in a cupboard or anywhere out of direct sunlight.

It can be topped-off for 6 weeks as its tincturing, as small amounts of the alcohol will evaporate. Continuing the tincturing process on the same placenta chunk is not advised.

Don’t continue adding alcohol to the finished product as that may dilute it to the point of being ineffective.

15. Rachel says:

I have placenta tincture from my last son who is one year old. Was wondering if taking it would have some benefits for my fertility as I embark on conceiving my next child? If so, how would you recommend I use it? It what point in my cycle/how often? Would love any advice/suggestions. Thank you!!

16. Oops! I didn’t put the lid on the jar (neither of the instructions stated it) as it was tincturing and I sometimes forgot to agitate it daily. Do you think it’ll still be beneficial?

17. Susan M Semadeni says:

Hello! Looking forward to trying this in a month or so before baby #2 is born with some of my leftover capsules from baby #1. I am not a big fan of vodka or tequila, though, so I don’t want to be stuck with a partial bottle of alcohol I won’t drink. What other sorts of alcohols would you recommend? Gin? Maybe whiskey or spiced/dark rum… just anything 80-proof? Would even a flavored vodka be inferior because of the sugar content and added ingredients? I partly don’t want it to taste of placenta… I love using tinctures, but they are much easier for me to tolerate and remember to take when they have no flavor or are at least pleasant.

Thanks. :)

18. Pingback: Placenta Encapsulation - TCM or Raw?

19. Jessa Taylor says:

Hello :) Can I make the tincture when I have already had my placenta encapsulated? If so how many capsules and instructions! TIA

20. Shari says:

Great information! Your site is wonderful and you seem very helpful and caring even to others doing their own placenta processing. I think that is wonderful!

I am beginning the process as well and just purchased all of my supplies tonight. I am one of only a very few in my area as well (Midwest Iowa/Kansas/Missouri). Would you be willing to email or speak to me on the phone with any questions I have? I would be very grateful.

I previously worked in a hospital in the pharmacy so I’m very familiar with sterilization techniques etc, I just need to get down the actual method of preparing the placenta for encapsulation. I have two placentas in the freezer (my own and a dear friend) in which to ‘practice’ and from there I hope to provide my services to other mamas as well.

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Shari
    MamaBalanceService@gmail.com

What are your thoughts?

Meet & Greet

Meet Christina, Carolina's Placenta Lady.

Book Placenta Service

Follow this link, then complete the form and submit payment. Christina will be in touch with you shortly.

Carolina's Placenta Lady